Spicy Peanut Stew is perfect for a lucky New Year meal, or anytime during the cold winter months.
You’ll need a slow cooker with at least a 6-quart capacity for this recipe.
1 large onion, chopped
2 yams, chopped
2 small zucchini, chopped
4 – 6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can black beans, drained
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 cup dry rice
4 – 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) medium salsa
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup peanut butter
- Grab your slow cooker and spray the crock with nonstick spray.
- Put all the ingredients (except the peanut butter) into the slow cooker. Stir if it makes you feel better (I usually just pile it all in and leave).
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours or high heat for 4 hours.
- At the end of the cook time, stir in the peanut butter. It will look something like this:
- Serve alone or with toppings and sides (suggestions below).
- Yams can be replaced with any kind of potatoes, carrots, winter squash, or any other slightly starchy vegetable.
- Zucchinis can be replaced with broccoli, mushrooms, bell pepper, eggplant, or any other vegetable you like.
- Rice substitutes that I like: Quinoa, pearl barley, and farro. Due to the long cooking time, this is a great recipe for trying new grains.
- Black and garbanzo beans: Any canned or cooked beans you have will work. Do not use dry beans.
- Peanut butter: Any crunchy or creamy nut butter will work, as will tahini (made from sesame seeds) or sunbutter.
Side and topping suggestions
- Dairy: sour cream (favorite), Greek yogurt, shredded cheese
- Animal protein: fried egg (favorite), leftover grilled meat, bacon
- Fruits and vegetables: sliced avocado, diced mango, pickled hot peppers
- Crunchy: tortilla chips, corn chips, pita chips
- Bready: crusty bread, naan (favorite), soft tortillas, pitas
- Greens: sliced green onion, cilantro (favorite), chives, fresh thyme, basil
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 - 8 hours
- Category: Stew
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 560 mg
- Fat: 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 7.8 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free